The Best Bagless Vacuum Cleaner For Pet Hair
Without a doubt, our furry friends bring us so much joy and company.
Unfortunately, they can also bring a lot of hair and mess, which is why it is worth investing in a vacuum cleaner that is specifically designed to clean up after them without any fuss.
Some standard vacuum cleaners can do the job well enough, but to really keep on top of pet hair, fleas, flea eggs and other pet-related detritus, you need a pet vacuum that is tough enough for the job.
There are a number of models available on the market and the one you buy will depend on a whole host of factors.
Below, you can find the best bagless pet vacuums that are available on the market.
Joyoushousehold.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com
Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.
|Dyson V8 Absolute||Cordless||Carpets & hard surfaces||9.4 / 10|
|Shark Rocket HV322 TruePet||Corded||Carpets & hard surfaces||9.4 / 10|
|Dyson V6 Animal||Cordless||Carpets & hard surfaces||9.2 / 10|
|Shark NV105||Corded||Carpets & hard surfaces||9.2 / 10|
|Dyson DC41||Corded||Carpets & hard surfaces||9 / 10|
|Bissell 33A1||Corded||Carpets & hard surfaces||9 / 10|
|Bissell 1330||Corded||Carpets & hard surfaces||9 / 10|
|Bissell 81L2A||Corded||Hard surfaces||8.8 / 10|
|Bissell 9595A||Corded||Carpets||8.8 / 10|
|Bissell 13H8K||Corded||Carpets||8.8 / 10|
|Holife Handheld Cordless Vacuum||Cordless||Carpets & hard surfaces||8.6 / 10|
1. Dyson V8 Absolute
The Dyson V8 makes short work of pet detritus, regardless of whether you have carpets or hardwood floors.
This is thanks to the two interchangeable cleaner heads – a direct-drive cleaner head that digs down into carpet and scrapes up pet hair and dirt from between fibres, and a soft roller cleaner head that is gentle on hardwood floors and attracts hair and dust thanks to the rubber-like material on the head.
This cordless vacuum can run for up to 40 minutes before needing to be recharged when run in standard mode. It also has a max power mode that ramps up the suction power, thus allowing you to tackle even the most stubborn, ground-in dirt.
Once the Dyson V8 Absolute does need charging, the docking station will run only until it is at full charge before switching off in order to save power.
HEPA filtration ensures that allergenic particles in the environment caused by pet dander is reduced, whilst the accessories that come with the vacuum help you to clean every inch of your home.
This is a cordless, bagless, handheld stick pet vacuum that measures approximately 49 by 10 by 9 inches. It has a 0.5 liter capacity dust container and weighs 5.75 lbs.
- Designed for use on both carpets and hardwood floors, thanks to the two interchangeable cleaner heads
- Transforms easily from a stick vacuum to a handheld vacuum
- Max power mode allows you to run the vacuum at maximum power for tough or stubborn dirt
- Can run for up to 40 minutes with standard use before needing to be recharged
- Clever charging station that switches off when battery is fully charged and also lets you keep your vacuum in an easily accessible location, whilst staying out of the way
- Comes with accessories for full house cleaning
- Lightweight and easy to use, ideal for people with mobility issues
- Has an HEPA filtration system
- Much pricier than other pet vacuum cleaners
- Because of the nature of the dust container, emptying it can risk releasing allergens back into the environment if the user is not careful
2. Shark Rocket HV322 TruePet
The Shark Rocket HV322 is a lightweight, versatile pet vacuum that is designed to efficiently clean every area of your home thanks to the various attachments that come with it.
These include the Dust-Away attachment, complete with washable pad, that makes dusting easier and also keeps your hardwood floors sparkling, an 18-inch crevice tool for getting into every nook and cranny both up high and down low, and a motorized brush for scraping up pet hair from stairs and soft furnishings. The other attachments include a dusting tool and upholstery tool.
The main brush bar has bright integrated LED lights that highlight every bit of dust, dirt and pet hair, thus allowing you to efficiently clean even in the darkest corners of your home.
The 30 foot power cord lets you reach most areas of your home with ease and without needing to constantly change power supplies. Plus, this pet vacuum can be changed from a stick vacuum into a handheld at the touch of a button.
This corded, bagless, stick pet vacuum measures roughly 102 inches in height and 13.4 inches in width. It has a 30 foot long power cord and weighs approximately 9 lbs.
- ush bar to allow you to see every speck of dirt, even in the darkest corners
- Very lightweight and easily manoeuvrable, with multi-direction brush bar
- Converts quickly from a stick vacuum to handheld vacuum
- Extra-long power cord
- Comes with a large number of accessories, including a wall mount, upholstery tool, pet power brush and an 18-inch crevice tool
- Has a Dust-Away attachment, complete with washable pads
- Suitable for use on both carpets and hardwood floors
- Considered to be good value for money
- Contains a small dust cup that needs emptying more regularly when compared to other vacuum cleaners
3. Dyson V6 Animal
The Dyson V6 Animal can be used as both a handheld and stick vacuum. The latter is essentially a handheld vacuum with a long, hard suction tube that connects the handheld section to the brush bar, working essentially in the same fashion as an upright vacuum, thus preventing unnecessary bending.
The docking station cleverly switches off once the vacuum is fully charged and also doubles as a handy storage rack, keeping it within reach for those unexpected messes, whilst also keeping it out of the way.
Boost mode ramps up the suction power, allowing you to tackle even the toughest of vacuuming tasks, such as damp doggy hair in the rug.
Being lightweight means that this vacuum is generally safe to use on both hardwood floors and carpets, whilst the various accessories let you clean every part of your home. The accessories included are a mini motorised tool, combination tool, rigid crevice tool and a dirt brush.
This is a cordless, bagless, handheld stick pet vacuum that measures approximately 46.4 by 8.7 by 9.8 inches. It has a 0.4 liter capacity dust container and weighs roughly 4.65 lbs.
- Cordless, allowing you to reach any nook and cranny without worrying about finding a power supply
- Clever charging dock that also acts as a storage stand
- Boost mode – which means you can ramp up the suction power for a few minutes
- Comes with a variety of accessories to allow you to keep every part of your home clean and tidy
- Lightweight, with the weighted part of the machine being near the handle, thus allowing you to easily lift your pet vacuum up to hoover in hard to reach places
- Converts from stick to handheld in a matter of seconds
- Can be used on carpets and hard wood floors due to being very lightweight
- Whilst cordless is great for versatility, the battery on this machine lasts for about 20 minutes which may not be ideal for performing big cleans, especially since it takes a fair amount of time to recharge
4. Shark NV105
The Shark NV105 Navigator Upright Vacuum Cleaner is suitable for use on both carpets and hardwood floors. You simply switch the brush roll function off when hoovering hardwood so that you are left with just suction, thus avoiding scratches or damage to the floor.
Its lightweight, compact design makes it easy for carrying up and down stairs, as well storing away when not in use.
It comes with a crevice tool, upholstery tool and a flexible hose with an extendable wand that allow you to keep your soft furnishings, stairs and car spotlessly clean and free from pet hair, dander and flea eggs.
The transparent dust container lets you see exactly what you are picking up and the foam filter on the container is washable.
This upright, bagless, corded pet vacuum measures 45.3-inches by 13.5-inches by 11.3-inches, with a 1 liter capacity dust container. It weighs 10.6 pounds.
- Considered to be affordable and good value for money
- Suitable for use on carpets and hardwood floors
- Comes with a crevice tool and upholstery tool
- Washable foam filter in the dust container
- Being a corded vacuum, its reach is limited by the availability of power supplies
- The small dust container needs to be emptied frequently, with the manufacturer recommending emptying after each use, which may prove off-putting for some people
5. Dyson DC41
The Dyson DC41 Animal in fuschia is a robust machine designed to handle even the toughest of jobs where pet hair is concerned.
The main head of the unit is self-adjusting, which means that it will lower or elevate depending on the flooring surface, to help prevent damage to hardwood floors as well as making sure that carpets receive a deep clean.
Its HEPA filtration system allows it to significantly reduce the instances of allergic reactions by purifying the air. The Dyson DC41 has even been certified by Allergy Standards Limited as being asthma and allergy friendly.
Ball technology makes it easy to manoeuvre, whilst the long power cord and multitude of tools make it versatile and effective at cleaning every inch of your home properly.
The tools included are a combination tool, stair tool, tangle-free turbine tool, soft dusting brush, stiff bristle brush and a multi-angle brush. It also comes with a powder that is designed to keep carpets fresh.
It is easy to see when the vacuum needs emptying, thanks to the see-through dust container that can be easily emptied with the click of a button.
This is a corded, bagless, upright pet vacuum cleaner, measuring 36.4 by 11.5 by 10.7 inches. Its cord is 35 feet in length. The dust container has a capacity of roughly 2 liters and the entire unit weighs approximately 17 lbs.
- Washable filter, thus making it cost-effective to run
- Self-adjusting cleaner head, allowing the vacuum to adapt to the environment in which it is being used
- Easy emptying dust container that can be held over a bin whilst a button is pressed to release the contents directly into it
- Ball technology that makes it easy to manoeuvre around the home
- Comes with a number of tools that make light work of stairs, upholstery and hard to reach places
- Users have noted that this is a relatively quiet vacuum cleaner
- Has been certified as asthma and allergy friendly by Allergy Standards Limited
- The way in which the dust container is emptied still runs the risk of releasing dust and hair back into the environment if not done carefully
- Some people have noted that the cord sometimes gets in the way and can pose a trip hazard
6. Bissell 33A1
The Bissell 33A1 is a nifty little tool that is ideal for keeping your car, stairs and upholstery nice and clean.
The 16 foot long power cord allows you to reach the top of most flights of stairs with ease and the see-through dust container lets you know when the pet vacuum needs emptying. The manufacturer recommends it is emptied after each use to ensure maximum suction is retained.
This pet vacuum comes with two specially designed nozzles to allow you to clear up any and all messes quickly and easily.
The hard nozzle is designed for clearing up dry messes like cat litter. The rubber nozzle can bend slightly to get into corners and around stair lips and scrape out pet hair from between carpet fibres using the comb-like fingers on the end of the nozzle.
This is a corded, bagless, handheld pet vacuum cleaner, measuring roughly 10 by 8 by 5 inches. Its power cord is 16 feet in length and the unit weighs around 5 lbs.
- Handheld, lightweight vacuum that is ideal for use in cars, caravans and on stairs, upholstery and other hard to clean places
- Comes with two nozzles, allowing you to clean up wet and dry messes
- Compact and easy to store away
- Considered to be good quality for its price, which is much lower than many other pet vacuums out there
- The small dust container means that it needs to be emptied regularly
- Some people have noted that it is quite noisy
7. Bissell 1330
The Bissell 1330 CleanView vacuum is a corded, upright machine that has OnePass Technology designed to pick up every spot of dirt on the first pass.
It can be used on a variety of surfaces, including carpets, upholstery, counter tops and hard floors.
A large 2 litre capacity dust container lets you clean your entire house without needing to stop to empty in between. It also has a bottom opening feature that lets you empty it straight into the bin at the touch of a button, as well as a washable foam filter that needs to be cleaned about once a month to ensure maximum filtration.
This vacuum comes with accessories to help ensure that every inch of your home is kept free from pet hair, including a crevice tool and various brushes.
This is an upright, corded, bagless pet vacuum, measuring 44 by 13.5 by 12.5 inches. It has a 25 foot long power cord, a 2 litre capacity dirt container and weighs 15.5 lbs.
- Suitable for use on all kinds of surfaces, including carpets and hardwood floors
- Adjustable height on brush bar, providing 5 height levels
- Multi-level filtration, including washable foam filter on dust container
- Large capacity dust container, thus requiring emptying less often, and it is see-through so you can see exactly what your vacuum has picked up
- Comes with extra accessories
- Much cheaper than other vacuum cleaners
- Bottom emptying dust container risks the release of allergens back into the environment if not emptied with care
8. Bissell 81L2A
The Bissell 81L2A is an upright stick pet vacuum that has been specifically designed for use on hard wood flooring.
Its clever V-shaped cleaner head is wide and encourages large items of dirt to gather in the center to be sucked up by the larger opening. The arms of the cleaner head are made from a rubber-like material that naturally attracts pet hair and dander that is then sucked up by the smaller holes.
The V shape of the cleaner head also makes it easy to manoeuvre around table legs, skirting boards and other corners, ensuring that it gets as close to the edge as possible.
It is lightweight and very easy to move, which makes it ideal for people who suffer with mobility issues. The dust container is clear, which means you can easily see everything that is picked up.
This is an upright, bagless, corded, hardwood pet vacuum. It measures roughly 43.4 by 11.3 by 10.6 inches. The power cord is 20 feet in length and the unit weighs approximately 7.5 lbs.
- Specifically designed for use on hardwood floors
- V-shaped cleaner head that picks up both large and small particles. This design also allows for easier manoeuvrability around furniture
- Lightweight and easy to use
- Affordable when compared to other models
- Not designed for use on carpets
9. Bissell 9595A
The Bissell 9595A is designed to pick up every scrap of dirt with one sweep over the affected area.
It is lightweight, meaning it can be easily carried up and down stairs, whilst the extra-long power cord, measuring 25 feet, lets you reach most areas of the room with ease from one power supply.
This pet vacuum comes with various attachments that allow you to efficiently remove pet dander, flea eggs and more from every part of your home, including skirting boards, curtains and under heavy furniture units.
The large dust container has a washable foam filter that should be rinsed about once a month to ensure optimum performance.
This is a corded, upright, bagless vacuum cleaner, measuring roughly 44 by 13.5 by 12.5 inches. It has a 2.2 liter dust container, 25 foot power cord and weighs 15 lbs.
- Comes with attachments to help keep your home spotlessly clean
- Large dust container means it needs emptying less often and you can also see exactly what your vacuum is picking up because it is clear
- Multi-level filtration designed to help reduce levels of allergens in the environment
- The foam filter for the dirt container is easy to clean
- Extra-long power cord.
- Affordable when compared to other vacuum cleaners
- Not suitable for hardwood flooring
10. Bissell 13H8K
The Bissell 13H8K features an integrated pet hair lifter that is designed to ensure that maximum hair removal occurs during vacuuming.
The pet hair lifter has a lint brush that grabs the pet hair when you pull the vacuum backwards and then releases it into the suction hole when you push the vacuum forwards.
The pet turbo brush tool further aids in pet hair removal because it is designed for use on areas that are unsuitable for the main body of the vacuum, namely stairs, upholstery and cars. Other accessories that come with the Bissell 13H8K are a dusting brush and a crevice tool.
The smaller size of this vacuum means that you can get into hard to reach places, such as under tables, that many standard sized vacuums struggle with, whilst the auto height adjustment on the brush bar lets you move from one flooring type to another without losing cleaning quality.
This upright, bagless, corded pet vacuum measures approximately 43 by 11 by 11-inches. It has a 1 liter capacity dust container, a 23 foot long power cord and weighs 11.2 lbs.
- Lighter weight than most other vacuums
- Multi-level filtration and washable foam filter in the dust container help prevent allergens being released back into the environment
- Integrated pet hair lifter
- Comes with a number of tools for optimum household cleaning, namely the dusting brush and crevice tool
- Smaller size than many standard vacuums, making it ideal for use in small spaces
- Small dust container means you need to empty it more regularly
11. Holife Handheld Cordless Vacuum
The Holife Handheld Cordless Vacuum is ideal for homes where quick clean ups are needed on a regular basis. Its wet and dry function means that it is capable of cleaning up dry pet-related detritus, such as cat litter or pet food, as well as wet pet-related dirt, such as soggy dog hair.
It comes with a few attachments. The run time on this handheld pet vacuum is approximately 30 minutes, with the recharging time taking between 3 and 5 hours, depending on whether or not you are using the quick charge function.
This is a handheld, cordless, bagless pet vacuum measuring roughly 16.1 by 4.3 by 4.3-inches. It has a 0.6 liter capacity dust container and weighs approximately 3.3 lbs.
- Lightweight, handheld pet vacuum ideal for cleaning stairs, furniture and cars
- Wet / dry cleaner
- Cordless and with a running time of up to 30 minutes
- Has a number of attachments that make cleaning easier and more efficient
- Being a handheld device, it is not suitable for whole house cleaning
- Small dust container means it needs emptying very regularly
- Charge time is quite long
What makes pet vacuums different from regular ones?
The difference between standard vacuum cleaners and pet vacuum cleaners is that the latter have a few features that make them ideal for use in homes with pet hair.
One feature is stronger suction, often utilising cyclonic technology. This is where the air and dust that is sucked into the vacuum are separated with powerful centrifugal force and then the air is released back into the environment, whilst the dust and any potential allergenic particles remain in the collection cylinder.
Additionally, pet vacuums are often fitted with HEPA filters that are designed to trap pet detritus and purify the air that is released from the vacuum during vacuuming, thus helping prevent re-release of allergy-causing air particles back into the home environment.
When paired with cyclonic technology, the HEPA filters are especially effective at reducing the risk of allergens remaining in the environment post-vacuuming.
Pet vacuums also tend to have tools that allow you to clean not only floors, but also upholstery, curtains and skirting.
Types of pet vacuums
There are only really two types of vacuum: upright and cylinder; cylinder models are also known as canister models.
Upright pet vacuums are usually tall, and feature a large dust container that sits vertically in the unit. They can be maneuvered around the room easily with one hand, thanks to the long handle that prevents the need to bend awkwardly and the small wheels that are located near the brush bar.
These types of pet vacuums can often hold more detritus before needing to be emptied and can also suck up more hair in a shorter space of time because the brush bar is usually wider than those found on cylindrical machines. This in turn means that more floor space is covered quicker, making them ideal for larger homes.
The downside to upright pet vacuums is that they can take up a lot of space when being stored away and are cumbersome to use when hoovering stairs or hard to reach places, even if they have a pull-out hose and attachments.
Cylinder pet vacuums on the other hand are ideal for using on stairs and hard to reach places because they are usually lightweight and easy to carry with one hand, whilst using the other hand to maneuver the brush bar.
Of course, their downside tends to be that they take longer to clean an area of flooring because their brush bars are often smaller than those found on upright pet vacuums, and their dust containers are normally smaller. That said, cylinder pet vacuums can be stored away quite compactly into cupboards and are perfect for smaller homes.
As well as the body type of the pet vacuum, there are sub-categories that include the following features:
Corded or cordless
Corded vacuums have a set cord length that varies between models, but no limit on power, other than the location of the mains power supply. They have the benefit of being ready to use whenever the occasion requires, as long as there is easy access to a power supply. You may need to stop vacuuming every so often in order to switch power supplies.
Cordless vacuums need to be charged regularly, usually by placing the battery on a charging station. On full charge, they last around 20 – 40 minutes on average, depending on the model.
This is definitely a personal preference, although if you are purchasing a pet vacuum for your car or caravan, then a cordless, handheld or small vacuum would be the most practical option.
Bagged or bagless
Bagged pet vacuums are less commonly available on the market these days, but are still popular because they are designed to provide maximum protection from allergens by trapping them inside a bag that is usually made from strong paper.
They are also low maintenance and don’t usually need a filter in order to operate, making them more simple to use. However, they can be costly to buy.
Bagless pet vacuums have a tough plastic container that collects the hair, dust and other debris after it has been separated from the air via a filter. Most are clear so you can see exactly what you’re picking up, as well as knowing when the container is in need of emptying.
Bagless pet vacuums do run the risk of releasing allergenic particles when being emptied, but this is not usually a concern if care is taken. They also have filters that will need cleaning from time to time.
Handheld pet vacuums are exactly what they sound like. They are usually small, very lightweight and are normally cordless, needing to be charged in order to be used.
Handheld pet vacuums are often bagless and have a small dust container that has to be emptied regularly. These kinds of vacuums are perfect for stairs, cars and caravans, as well as upholstery.
Hardwood or carpet
It might not seem obvious, but if you have wood flooring in your home, then you really do need a pet vacuum that is designed for use on such flooring, mainly to ensure that you don’t damage the surface of your floor.
Pet vacuum cleaners that are designed specifically for hardwood floors often have rubber wheels near the brush bar, instead of the hard, plastic ones found on carpet pet vacuums. They also tend to be significantly lighter than their carpet counterparts to help prevent dragging and scratching.
Pet vacuums that are designed for use on carpets often have hard plastic wheels to help prevent drag. Plus, they are usually heavier so that they can push the brush bar down into the carpet and scrape up as much hair and dust as possible.
It is commonplace to come across pet vacuums that are designed for use on both hardwood and carpeted floors.
HEPA allergy filter
HEPA filters are designed to trap the microscopic dust particles that gather in your vacuum, thus preventing them from being released into the environment, whilst also purifying the air that does escape from the vacuum.
It is important to remember however that not all pet vacuums have these filters fitted. Also, they do require cleaning on a semi-regular basis and will eventually need replacing.
Things to consider when buying a pet vacuum
Apart from the factors mentioned in the section above, there are a few other things to consider when deciding which pet vacuum cleaner to buy.
This isn’t just in relation to the actual cost of the pet vacuum, although this will obviously have an impact on your decision. You also need to decide if the cleaner will be affordable to run in the long term.
This only really applies however if you have a vacuum that requires bags that need replacing, which some people may prefer because there is a reduced risk of breathing in the allergens from pet hair and dust when emptying the vacuum.
Also, if your pet vacuum has an HEPA filter, it will need replacing occasionally, so you need to factor that cost in to your budget as well.
Where it will be used
This is quite important because if you only need a pet vacuum for using in your car or caravan (e.g. because other people who don’t live with you but are allergic to your pets are likely to be in these places) then a small handheld vacuum might be all you need.
However, if you are planning to use the vacuum in your home, then a larger machine will likely be necessary.
By this we mean whether or not you are someone who suffers from back pain, arthritis or any injury that would make it difficult to vacuum your home.
If this is the case, then you need to factor this in when purchasing your pet vacuum because some models may be unsuitable for you to use.
For example if you suffer from arthritis, then you aren’t going to want something heavy that will be difficult and painful for you to move around your home. You will want a lightweight, ideally cordless machine that is easy to use, yet still effective.
Benefits of having a pet vacuum
Anyone who is a pet owner can probably appreciate the benefits associated with owning a vacuum that has been specifically designed to clean up after their pets. However, just in case you are unsure about the benefits that come with having a pet vacuum, take a look at the list below:
Reduced incidents of allergic reactions
Some people might not understand why you would keep a pet that you or a member of your family is allergic to. But one thing that most pet owners can agree on is that for most of us, our pets are part of the family; we don’t just get rid of them when they’re inconvenient.
Now, because pet vacuums often have HEPA filters and are effective at sucking up most, if not all pet-related detritus, they help to reduce the instances of allergic reactions.
Some vacuums are even gentle enough to use on your pet so you can attack the allergenic particles at their source. These are especially handy during the warmer months when pets tend to molt a lot more.
A cleaner home
Whilst we might love having our pets around, a home covered in unsightly hairs can be quite upsetting, especially to people who like to be very clean and tidy. It is also more likely that friends and relatives will come and visit if they aren’t going to worry about leaving with a new layer of fur attached to their clothes.
Another thing to appreciate is that pet vacuums often have stronger suction and a variety of tools to help you clean and vacuum every inch of your home, not just the floors, so you will end up with a cleaner home all round.
Many standard vacuums are not able to cope as well as pet vacuums with collecting pet hair, which can then clog up the brush and filters, meaning that they eventually break and need repairing or replacing.
Pet vacuums are able to deal with this issue because they have brushes and filters that have been designed to cope with the bulk that comes with pet hair.
It is also worth noting that pet vacuums can be used just like standard ones, so there’s no need to buy multiple vacuums for the same job. If you have pets, then simply buy one good quality pet vacuum for all of your vacuuming needs.
Most pet vacuums are designed to help reduce allergens that are present in the air. As mentioned above, the way they do this is through HEPA filters that purify the air that flows through the vacuum.
So, not only will you be able to keep your environment free from pet dander, you will also be able to provide cleaner air for those people living in your home.
Of course, not all pet vacuums are created equal and there will be some that do not have HEPA filters fitted, so it is worth making sure that the model you buy does, if this is a feature that is important to you.