It is becoming more popular these days to make your own bread at home, with many people choosing to do it by hand.
However, if you’re short on time or simply don’t have the patience for kneading, then it’s worth investing in a stand mixer specifically designed for the tough job of preparing your bread dough.
Below you can find the best stand mixers for making bread.
Joyoushousehold.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com
Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.
|Name||Mixing Bowl Capacity (quarts)||Our Rating|
|KitchenAid KSM150PS||5||9.8 / 10|
|KitchenAid K45SS||4.5||9.6 / 10|
|KitchenAid KP26M1XER||6||9.4 / 10|
|Hamilton Beach Eclectrics® All-Metal Stand Mixer||4.5||9.2 / 10|
|KitchenAid Professional 6000 HD||6||9.2 / 10|
|CHEFTRONIC SM-986||5.5||9 / 10|
|Cuisinart SM-55BC||5.5||9 / 10|
1. KitchenAid KSM150PS
The KitchenAid KSM150PS lets you produce more than four loaves of bread in one go, thanks to the 5 quart, stainless steel mixing bowl.
It comes with standard attachments for kneading, whipping and beating your dough or batter, but you have the option of purchasing other attachments. If you do decide to buy some of the other attachments, you can make homemade pasta shapes, minced meat and even ice cream.
The ten speeds on this stand mixer range from gentle stirring to full power that is perfect for kneading a big batch of bread dough.
Most of the removable attachments are dishwasher-safe and the pouring shield helps prevent mess whilst adding ingredients when the mixer is on. Another great feature that helps prevent mess is the fact that the mixing bowl locks into place in the base of the mixer.
You can lock the mixing arm, also known as the motor head, into place using the motor head locking mechanism located on the side of the arm. This helps prevent movement during use and ensures safe operation.
The 59 point planetary mixing action is designed to ensure that the mixing attachment reaches every area of the mixing bowl and mixes everything efficiently and properly.
This stand mixer measures 13.9 inches in height, 14.1 inches long and 8.7 inches wide. It weighs 26 lbs and operates at 120 V. It comes in more than 40 different colours, including cranberry, majestic yellow and cobalt blue.
- Comes with basic attachments: flat-beater, balloon whisk and dough hook, as well as the option to buy extra attachments
- Has ten speeds
- Can be used to make other foods when used with the relevant attachments
- Large mixing bowl with 5 quart capacity
- Dishwasher-safe pouring shield with feed chute
- Tough, hygienic stainless steel bowl
- Tilt-head design on the mixer arm, thus making it easy to remove bowl
- Flat-beater, dough hook and mixing bowl are all dishwasher-safe
- Mixing bowl locks into place to help prevent movement during use
- Mixing arm, or motor head, can be locked in place during use
- Planetary mixing action
2. KitchenAid K45SS
For an affordable introduction to KitchenAid products, look no further than the KitchenAid K45SS.
It has a 4.5-quart dishwasher-safe stainless steel bowl that can make approximately four loaves of bread. The tilt-head design makes it easy to add ingredients, as well as insert or remove the mixing bowl and attachments.
This mixer comes with a dough hook and flat-beater, both of which are dishwasher-safe, as well as a balloon whisk, for all your baking needs.
The versatility of this mixer can be improved thanks to the variety of attachments that can be purchased to go with it, turning it into a juicer, pasta maker, sausage stuffer and more.
Ten speed settings and planetary mixing motion ensure that your dough is efficiently kneaded. A motor head locking mechanism makes sure that the mixing arm stays securely in place whilst the mixer is in use, thus helping reduce the risk of making a mess.
This stand mixer measures 13.9 inches high, 14.1 inches deep and 8.7 inches wide. It weighs roughly 25 lbs.
- 59-point planetary mixing action
- Tilt-head design
- Stainless steel bowl with 4.5 quart capacity
- Can also be used as a juicer, sausage stuffer, ice cream maker and more thanks to the variety of attachments that can be bought to go with it
- Comes with a dough hook, flat-beater and balloon whisk
- Dough hook, mixing bowl and flat-beater are dishwasher-safe
- Ten speed settings
- Motor head locking mechanism
3. KitchenAid KP26M1XER
The KitchenAid KP26M1XER will look right at home in any modern kitchen.
Its strong motor and specially designed PowerKnead dough hook make it perfect for kneading bread dough. The large 6-quart mixing bowl lets you make as many as eight loaves of bread in one go and is dishwasher-safe, thus enabling easy clean-up. Planetary mixing action means that the mixer will reach every inch of the mixing bowl.
Unlike with many stand mixers, this one lifts the bowl up to the mixer rather than lowering the attachment into the bowl. The lift-stand can be adjusted to suit the height of the bowl you are using, if you are not using the original bowl that comes with the mixer.
There are ten speeds on this mixer, ranging from gentle stirring to full power. The pouring shield is designed to prevent mess during use, with a handy feed chute to let you easily add ingredients.
The measurements for this stand mixer are 16.5 inches tall, 11.25 inches wide and 14.5 inches deep. It weighs 29 lbs and operates at 120 V. There are also more than 20 different colours to choose from.
- Specially designed PowerKnead spiral dough hook made from burnished metal
- Comes with a burnished metal flat-beater and stainless steel balloon whisk. There is also the option to buy other attachments to extend the versatility of this stand mixer
- Large mixing bowl, with a capacity of 6 quarts
- 67 point planetary mixing action
- Lift-stand for mixing bowl
- Has ten speeds
- Pouring shield with feed chute for maximum protection against mess
- With the additional attachments, you can use this stand mixer to make pasta, shred vegetables, grate cheese and more
- Hygienic stainless steel used for the mixing bowl, making it dishwasher-safe
4. Hamilton Beach Eclectrics® All-Metal Stand Mixer
The Hamilton Beach Eclectrics® All-Metal Stand Mixer is an affordable stand mixer that is ideal for anyone who is new to bread making.
It operates with planetary mixing action, meaning that every inch of the mixing bowl is touched and all of the mixture incorporated. Twelve settings give you maximum control over the speed of the attachments, ensuring perfect results every time.
The pouring shield fits neatly onto the top of the mixing bowl whilst still allowing access to the bowl via the feed chute. The bowl also locks into place into the base to prevent movement during use. This helps to reduce the mess created when using the mixer.
All of the attachments, including the bowl, are dishwasher-safe for easy cleaning. Non-slip feet help to keep the mixer in place and the tilt-head design on the mixing arm make it easy to remove attachments and the bowl from the main unit.
This mixer comes with the mixing bowl, balloon whisk, flat-beater, dough hook and pouring shield.
This stand mixer measures roughly 14.4 inches high, 9.4 inches wide and 13.8 inches deep. It weighs approximately 22 lbs.
- Planetary mixing action
- Has twelve settings
- Tilt-head design on the mixing arm
- Has a pouring shield with feed chute for easily adding ingredients whilst in operation
- Non-slip feet
- Flat-beater, dough hook, balloon whisk and mixing bowl are all dishwasher-safe
- Bowl locks into the base to reduce the risk of movement
- Stainless steel mixing bowl that can hold up to 4.5 quarts
5. KitchenAid Professional 6000 HD
The KitchenAid Professional 6000 HD KSM6573C will look smart in any kitchen. It has a large stainless steel mixing bowl that is dishwasher-safe and capable of making as many as eight loaves of bread.
The bowl-lift design makes it easy to remove the mixing attachment from the bowl, as well as letting you easily add ingredients in during operation.
You can also use this stand mixer to make ice cream, pasta and more, thanks to the variety of attachments that can be purchased to go with it.
Planetary mixing action ensures that the mixing attachment makes contact with as many points in the bowl as possible, thus mixing your bread dough thoroughly.
The ten speed settings have a Soft Start feature that starts the mixing tool at a slower pace, gradually building up to the desired speed.
This stand mixer comes with a mixing bowl, balloon whisk, dough hook and flat-beater.
This stand mixer measures roughly 17 inches tall, 9 inches deep and 7.25 inches wide. It weighs roughly 27 lbs and operates at 120 V.
- Large stainless steel mixing bowl, with a 6 quart capacity
- Bowl-lift design lifts the bowl up to the mixing attachment
- Ten speed settings, with all speeds having Soft Start feature
- Extra versatile, thanks to the attachments that can be bought to go with it, such as a mincer, pasta maker and grater
- Mixing bowl, dough hook and flat-beater are dishwasher-safe
- 67 point planetary mixing action
6. CHEFTRONIC SM-986
The CHEFTRONIC SM-986 is an affordable piece of kit, ideal for starter bakers and new homeowners.
It comes with three basic attachments, the dough hook, flat-beater and whisk, that will let you knead, whisk and beat whatever you wish.
The stainless steel bowl has a capacity of 5.5 quarts and a handy cover helps keep the mess inside the bowl and not on your worktop.
The tilt-head design makes it easy to access the bowl and attachments for removal or so that you can add more ingredients in. Strong suction cups attached to the bottom of the mixer let you ensure that it is securely fixed to the worktop, thus preventing movement or mess during operation.
Six speed settings and planetary mixing action ensure that your dough or batter is properly and thoroughly mixed.
This stand mixer measures roughly 16.5 inches tall, 14 inches long and 6 inches wide. It weighs approximately 17 lbs and operates at 120 V.
- See-through bowl cover to prevent mess whilst in use
- Planetary mixing action
- Six settings
- Comes with dough hook, flat-beater and whisk
- Tilt-head design on mixing arm
- 5.5 quart stainless steel bowl
- Suction cups on the bottom to secure to worktop
7. Cuisinart SM-55BC
If you want an affordable bread dough stand mixer that comes with a variety of useful features, then you need to buy the uisinart SM-55BC. It is incredibly versatile, having three power ports that let it be used as a juicer, blender, pasta maker and more when you buy the separate attachments.
During use, the mixing arm automatically locks into place once it has been lowered into the bowl, thus helping prevent movement.
A splash guard sits firmly on top of the bowl and has a feed chute, allowing you to continue adding ingredients without making a mess. The dough hook, balloon whisk, flat-beater, bowl and spatula are all dishwasher-safe, making clean-up a doddle.
The Cuisinart SM-55BC has twelve speed settings, including a slow-start option that gradually works up to the setting you have selected rather than hitting it full power.
The “fold” feature lets you gently mix together delicate foodstuffs, such as cream and melted chocolate. This particular mixer also has a 15-minute countdown timer that will automatically shut-off at the end of the cycle. This is especially useful if you need to mix something for a certain amount of time.
This mixer measures 15.5 inches long, 10 inches wide and 12.5 inches high, and weighs 21 lbs.
- Stainless steel, 5.5 quart mixing bowl that twist-locks into place and is dishwasher-safe
- Has three power ports that let you use it with the multitude of attachments that you can buy to go with it, including the citrus juicer and jug blender
- Splash guard, with feed chute, seals the bowl to prevent mess
- Twelve speeds, including slow-start option
- Has a 15 minute timer
- Has a “fold” feature
- Comes with dough hook, balloon whisk, flat-beater and spatula, all of which are dishwasher-safe
- Quite affordable considering what it offers
- Mixing arm automatically locks into place
What are stand mixers?
Unlike a hand mixer that you hold in your hand and use to mix your ingredients in a bowl that you have to hold still, a stand mixer is designed to be completely hands-free.
It is a large, weighted device that usually has an arm attached to it in which the mixing tools are fitted. Underneath the mixing arm sits the mixing bowl, usually in a recess to prevent it from sliding around everywhere. Quite often the bowl is locked into place.
The mechanical arm can usually be propped in an upright position, when not in use, in order to remove the bowl and add ingredients. Many stand mixers will have a motor head locking mechanism that locks the mixing arm in place, thus preventing movement. Others have a bowl-lift design, which means that the mixing arm stays still and the bowl is lifted up to the mixing tool.
Like with most hand mixers, stand mixers have multiple settings and usually have a variety of attachments. The main body of a high quality stand mixer houses a powerful motor, making it especially useful when it comes to mixing and kneading tough bread dough. It is practically impossible to get a hand mixer with the same motor power as a stand mixer.
Stand mixers can come with a plethora of features, including a pause function, a timer and some even have fancy control panels that let you easily configure various mixing settings.
Many mixers operate with a planetary mixing action. This essentially means that the motor head will rotate the attachment around the bowl, touching as many parts of the bowl as possible to ensure that everything is properly combined.
At the very least, a good stand mixer will come with a balloon whisk attachment, beater tool and a dough hook. The latter is what you need to ensure your stand mixer has in order for it to knead bread dough.
Benefits of having a stand mixer for bread dough
Depending on the type of stand mixer you buy, it will provide you with a range of options and features that will make your cooking sessions easier and more enjoyable.
As mentioned above, most stand mixers should at least come with the attachments required for kneading bread dough, or whipping up some buttercream or batter for cakes. However, many stand mixers can offer far more versatility than this.
Features that many stand mixers can have include splash guards and food processor attachments. If you’re willing to spend more to get maximum versatility from your unit, then you can end up with a stand mixer that includes a jug blender, pasta maker, spiraliser and more.
Saves you time
If you are trying to manage a busy household, whilst tidying up and attempting to bake a loaf of bread for the next morning, then a stand mixer will most definitely be of use to you.
It saves time because you can literally chuck the ingredients in and let it do its job. The process of mixing or kneading takes less time than if it was being done by hand.
This leaves you more time to do what you need to rather than being stuck at the worktop kneading dough.
Fresh bread, despite health conditions
If you suffer from back pain, arthritis or any other condition that makes it difficult to knead dough or stand for long periods, then a stand mixer can help.
Because it takes all of the hard work out of the kneading for you, you can still enjoy freshly baked bread even if you are unable to knead bread dough manually.
The whole family can get involved
A stand mixer will make it a lot easier for your children to learn to bake, especially if they are trying to learn how to make bread.
Of course, everyone should have a go at kneading by hand, but for the young budding baker in your household, a stand mixer is more likely to encourage them to bake regularly.
Just make sure that they are properly supervised whilst using the mixer.
Things to consider before buying a stand mixer for preparing bread dough
As well as the things mentioned above, it is important to give due care and consideration to the following factors:
- Mixing bowl size – mixing bowls come in a multitude of sizes, with some being suitable for small batches of bread dough, whilst others are suitable when you are baking in bulk. Once you know how much bread you will be preparing, you can decide how large a mixing bowl you need.
- Motor power – in general, the more powerful the motor of a stand mixer is, the easier it will be for it to thoroughly mix and prepare a homogeneous bread dough.
- Size and weight – stand mixers are typically quite heavy and bulky. You need to think about where your stand mixer will live when not in use. Will it remain on a worktop at all times? If so, you need to ensure that it can fit in the designated space. If you want to store it away in a cupboard, then you need to think about where it will be stored and whether you will be able to move it around easily.
- Settings – it is important to establish exactly what settings your stand mixer provides, especially if you will be using it to prepare foods beside bread. Can it pause, gently fold batter or be set on a timer? What about gentle beating for more delicate recipes?
- Clean-up – it tends to be the case that stand mixers and their various attachments can be a bit of a pain to clean. Obviously, the main body of the unit will have to be very carefully wiped down with a damp cloth, but the removable items also need a proper clean. You may want to opt for a stand mixer that has attachments that are classed as dishwasher-safe, as this will save you time. It is also worth seeing if you can get extra attachments, such as bowls, so that you can avoid having to keep stopping to clean between recipes.
- Cost – stand mixers are generally the most expensive pieces of kitchen equipment on the market. Some can even cost more than a washing machine or fridge freezer, so it’s important to know what your budget is and get the best value for your money.
- Style – this might not be the most important factor, but it is something that you should at least consider. After all, you are likely to spend a decent sum of money on this device and you need to ensure that you actually like the aesthetics of it.
Risks and warnings
As with all kitchen appliances, make sure you read the manufacturer’s instructions for your stand mixer before you first use it. Ensure that it is not located near water or on an uneven surface because there is the risk of injury to yourself or damage to the mixer.
Make sure that you supervise use of the stand mixer if you have children in the vicinity because there is the risk that they could trap their hands in the unit when it is on.
Also, ensure that it is switched off before you put your own hands anywhere near the mixing attachments.